As we all know sulfur has been declining in our soils for years; which has prompted growers to incorporate sulfur in their crop nutrient programs to increase yields, improve quality and overall plant health.
Recent studies have indicated that we are missing out on another very important secondary nutrient, Calcium. Be honest, we in the industry have overlooked the plant value of Calcium. Yes, the value of Calcium in the soil has always been in our minds; with little focus on the plant. Just because soil analyses indicate there is a lot of calcium in the soil solution, plant health improvements, yield increases, and real returns are still available by adding plant available Calcium to the crop nutrition plan.
The question to be answered:
HOW IMPORTANT IS CALCIUM TO THE PLANT?
- Every plant needs Calcium to grow; it is one of the 6 macro-nutrients.
- Calcium is essential to the metabolic processes of other nutrient uptake.
- Calcium Helps plants absorb Nutrients better. In a simplified manner, Calcium is a nutrient carrier in both the soil and the plant.
- Calcium is vital for building and strengthening plant cell walls; promotes cell elongation
- Calcium aids in protecting the plant against heat stress.
- Calcium helps protect plants against disease.
- Calcium promotes stronger cell walls which inhibit invasion of fungi and bacteria.
- Calcium improves fruit quality.
- Calcium helps maintain a chemical balance in soil.
- Reduces soil salinity.
- Calcium is a soil amendment.
- Calcium improves water penetration.
- Calcium neutralizes excess acid or excess alkaline in the soil environment.
- Calcium is the key to proper root growth.
- Without proper root growth, plants are more susceptible to drought and more sensitive to improper mineral nutrition.
SUL4R-PLUS, LLC manufactures product solutions that provide the secondary and micronutrients needed for healthier, better yielding crops. SUL4R-PLUS® fertilizer has revolutionized the application of Sulfur, Calcium and micronutrients. SUL4R-PLUS fertilizer, comprised of 21% Calcium and 17% Sulfate, is an innovative granular calcium sulfate product proven to improve crop health and increase crop yields. In addition to the two vital nutrients Calcium and Sulfate; we have products that also incorporate 1.5% Boron or 3% Zinc or a combination of 0.5% Boron & 1.5% Zinc.